Sunday, August 31, 2008

Save Our Planet!!!

Salam everybody....

Now I'm going to write about our life, our environment, our earth. Most of my friend said why should we bother about that? Why not we just leave it to the paid caretaker (i.e. Government Officers, private sectors) to conserve our environment? I personally disagree with that point of view, and I do have my own personal opinion about conserving our environment.

Since my childhood life was surrounded by the green environment (muddy paddy field, rows of potatoes and tapioca, green orchard with crystal clear streams), I do miss all those green when I came to Klang Valley last century.

I know that there is something wrong with the culture of conserving the environment in the Klang Valley when I first saw tonnes of rubbish flowing in the beatiful but yellow in colour river, behind our football field of PPP/ITM. I wonder why all this could happen? Is it because of the MPSA (now MBSA) are not doing their job or the people of Shah Alam community are selfish i.e. all other places are dustbins except inside their houses or cars.

That's one of the example...but my colleague said it is normal in Klang Valley, it is still okay since the river is still flowing. Then I know that they will only concern if the river is stop flowing like what was happened in TTDI Jaya recently, when all the houses and cars are surrounded with the flash flood due to the overflow of Damansara river.

Hey people...do you still remember about our Highland Tower Tragedy? I'm still at my High School time when this landslide (due to human factors) swept away one of the towers and grabbed more than 40 lifes. How about our Pos Dipang Tragedy? Then the big floods in Johor? Is it totally because of the nature? Why not we just accept that we deserved this disaster since we don't even care about our nature?

For me it is quite simple...big world always starts with a small family. Yes! Maybe we are not in the position of controlling the world. But we could control our small family right. Why not we just play our role as part of the community to start conserving our environment in whatever capacity, within our control? Properly disposed all the rubbish, provide small travelling dustbin in our cars (for "kulit rambutan", empty water cans/bottles), avoid open burning etc.

Staying at the government servants community (I stayed at the government quarters actually, where majority of us are government officers), it is a shame to see that the rubbish is everywhere, not at its proper place. Inside the lift, at the carparks, at the playground, everywhere. I always mumbling to my other half about the attitude of so called "policy makers" of the country about basic life. If they cannot manage their small community, now I know why the campaigns, programmes, forums or whatever name you might put, only ended with the grand closing ceremony (of course with lots of financial implication...), with lesser impact neither to the participants, nor the "highly competent" organisers.

I always ask my little sweet daughter (3 years old) to throw rubbish in the dustbin at home, not to punish her, but more on inculcating her about conserving the nature. You know what? When I bring her to the evening playground time, she starts collecting water cans, ice cream plastic wrappers and said.."Papa! Ampoh...nok buang..." of course in her own sweet language asking me to help her open the big dustbin just a few feets from the playground to throw that rubbish.

I'm not saying that my daughter is good, but the most important thing here is how we play our role in this small community. Like I said before, we just contribute whatever we could within our capacity, then let the nature handles the rest of the world.

Till that...I missed a lot the scene of the late Pok Teh Mat Che with his buffalo traditionally preparing his muddy paddy field, where my friends and I running behind him catching small fish...in the green surroundings...

Regards,
Green Malay



No comments: